HOUSTON — Local business owners are worried about their reputations after learning their customers' packages are stuck at U.S. Postal Service processing centers in Missouri City and north Houston.
Shannon Wilpitts, co-founder and CEO of Upper Room Candle Company, said she didn't even know there was a problem with her package until a repeat customer notified her that it hadn't arrived.
Wilpitts investigated and found that it wasn't just one customer who was affected, but dozens.
“It just says it's in transit. The two packages containing the customer who tipped us off actually went all the way to Dallas and back to North Houston within 24 hours,” Wilpitts said. he said.
Wilpitts said customers in the Houston area have not received packages, but customers outside the state have received packages.
“We don't want other customers who aren't repeat customers to think that's how we do business,” Wilpitts said.
Wilpitts is not alone in tackling this problem. KHOU 11 reports that in two days he received thousands of messages from people around the world saying packages were stuck at his USPS processing center in Houston.
USPS blamed the delay on network updates and said it was working to ship packages as quickly as possible.
“As with any transition, unintended temporary disruptions may occur,” USPS said in part in a statement.
Representatives Al Green and Sylvia Garcia also weighed in, calling on the USPS to create a customer service center to answer questions about delays. They are also requesting tours of two postal facilities.
Tracking your mail: Our story about postal delays
- December 13, 2023: 'Processed as Received' | USPS Addresses Houston Area Post Office Issues in Statement
- December 15, 2023: A man's medications are stuck at a USPS sorting facility in Missouri City for a week, and more are coming.
- December 16, 2023: New Hampshire woman joins the list of people complaining about packages being held up at the USPS sorting facility in Missouri City.
- December 19, 2023: “Free the Mail!” | Lawmakers investigate Missouri City postal facility where packages were reported delayed
- January 10, 2024: Congressman Al Green tours USPS facility in Missouri City in hopes of solving mail delay problems
- January 10, 2024: Here's why the post office says your mail is being held up
- January 18, 2024: Customer says package containing $1,000 worth of merchandise is stuck at USPS processing center in Missouri City.
- January 19, 2024: 'We need to step up and fix this' | Hundreds of people contacted KHOU 11 in one day about mail delays.
- January 19, 2024: Congressman Al Green Receives Report on Postal Delay Issues from USPS Office of Inspector General
- January 19, 2024: A few days before the big day, still waiting for the bride in her wedding dress
Troy Kress says this on social media. Facebook | X | Instagram