Streaming giant Netflix is looking for an expert to analyze residuals in accordance with the studio's new collective bargaining agreement with the WGA and SAG-AFTRA, which includes some concessions on payment, according to a job posting.
“In this role, your primary responsibility will be to interpret and analyze residual impacts in accordance with various guild, union and production service contracts and to act accordingly. This will include calculating, preparing and This includes processing, preparing and managing residual liability financial projections, and working closely with cross-functional teams such as labor, production finance, and business affairs to determine the impact of residuals across various titles.'' The post states:
Analysts will be “key members of the Company's contingent fee and reporting functions.” Residuals are payments made to talent under collective bargaining agreements with various guilds/unions such as SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA, etc. for reusing content beyond the use covered by the original compensation. This is an additional reward. ”
Residue was one of the few major issues that sent the writers, and then the actors, to the picket line. The WGA contract, first secured in September, included a bonus structure that triggered additional payments if titles met certain viewership criteria. SAG-AFTRA's contract includes a similar bonus structure.
As reported by Deadline, in the case of WGA, each episode's credited writer will receive an additional 50% of the domestic and international fixed balance if the show meets the above criteria.
For SAG-AFTRA, titles that exceed viewership thresholds trigger payments to each featured performer equal to 100% of the fixed residual amount. However, the performer will only receive her 75% of that payment. The remaining 25% will be pooled into a fund managed by both SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP management committee and distributed to the remaining members.