Lexington, Kentucky (January 17, 2024) — The University of Kentucky has launched OneUK, a comprehensive business engagement program aimed at deepening relationships with strategic industry partners. OneUK marks a significant milestone in the University’s commitment to fostering long-term collaborations that drive mutual benefit and maximize impact.
The program will launch with the first cohort committed to growing strategically with the UK in talent, innovation and support. This cohort includes Appalachian Regional Health (ARH), Fischer Homes, and Valvoline Global Operations.
“At the University of Kentucky, we take seriously strategic partnerships, which are one of the drivers of our purpose,” said UK President Eli Capilouto. “It is these partnerships, like OneUK, that are deeply connected to our mission in the UK and pave the way for an expanded workforce, more research and development and essential scholarships for students in need. OneUK is a tailored approach to meeting the Commonwealth's evolving needs, and we are proud to be involved in this important effort. It is about our common efforts towards the development of the state.”
OneUK is led by a dynamic, cross-functional team representing a range of industry-facing sectors across the UK, working closely with each partner to co-develop bespoke engagement plans. These plans include shared goals, projects, success metrics, timelines, and designated points of contact to foster collaborative excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement.
The main goals of this initiative are:
- Access to the UK's student and graduate talent pool.
- Access impactful research findings that positively impact our partners' businesses.
- Receive early notifications and exclusive access to new industry-university shared spaces, labs, and events.
- Recognize outstanding partnerships and associated gifts through prestigious events.
- Communicate business and industry needs and priorities and inform UK curriculum development.
For the UK:
- Work with OneUK partners to maximize the UK student and graduate talent pipeline.
- Facilitate investment in student projects and collaborative research from OneUK partners.
- Reinforce gifts and support from OneUK partners.
- Expanding strategic engagement with UK departments and universities and corporate partners.
- Work with OneUK partners to enhance internal communication, coordination and collaboration between multiple universities and units.
- As a OneUK Partner, benefit from streamlined communication and support.
The first group consists of companies with strong ties to Kentucky. ARH operates in the Eastern region, Valvoline Global is headquartered in central Kentucky, and Fischer Homes is based in northern Kentucky. This diverse group spans the commonwealth's three major industries: health care, home construction, and automotive. The inclusion of these companies reflects Kentucky's diverse economic landscape and demonstrates their contributions to the state's growth and development in their respective fields.
“Appalachian Regional Healthcare is proud of the long-standing partnership it has shared with the University of Kentucky to provide opportunities to students across the state and to help expand ARH's workforce with highly trained medical and business professionals. We are grateful for our long history,” said ARH President Holly Harris. And the CEO. “As one of the first companies to join the OneUK programme, we are thrilled to be part of such an exciting new partnership with the UK. We will strategically align programs and opportunities for those pursuing these goals to maximize the impact that both parties can have on Kentucky's workforce and the level of care available to the people of Central Appalachia.”
“Fisher Homes is honored to be part of this strategic partnership and applauds Dr. Capilouto and the University of Kentucky for taking this important and positive step that is consistent with Northern Kentucky's growth plans.” said Jason Finch, district market president. “This initiative also provides great workforce development opportunities by enabling us to engage and inform UK students about the different career paths available in the housebuilding industry.”
“Innovation is at the heart of Valvoline Global Operations and this new partnership with the OneUK program continues that tradition,” said Roger England, Chief Research and Development Officer and Vice President of Engineering at Valvoline Global. “Opportunities like this help accelerate the development of groundbreaking and high-impact science, and we look forward to this partnership.”
The OneUK team is dedicated to applying what we learned from the pilot to continually improve the overall engagement experience. Plans are underway to expand the OneUK program to further cohorts.
The OneUK team includes:
- Landon Borders – UK Innovation Connect
- Ashley Castorena – Economic Development Collaboration and Marketing
- Ray Claire – Staccato Career Center
- Melody Flowers – Economic Development and Real Estate
- Ellen Gish – General Counsel
- Jessica Koenigschknecht Tarbu – Philanthropy
- Kim Klamper – Business Engagement
- Kim Sayre – UK Innovation Connect
For more information about OneUK, please visit the program website: https://businessengagement.uky.edu/oneuk.